Heartburn (Gastroenterology) Care
Gastroenterology Services at Baptist Memorial Health Care
While heartburn and acid reflux are common problems experienced by many people after a spicy meal or period of increased stress, reflux becomes a disease when it causes frequent or severe symptoms or injury. Gastroenterology specialists know this condition as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
In addition to heartburn and regurgitation, GERD symptoms can include chest pain, problems swallowing, chronic (long term) cough, hoarseness and sore throat. Many suffer for years without the benefit of a full evaluation and medications that control acid reflux may hide the fact that GERD is silently taking its toll.
Gastroenterology specialists at Baptist Memorial Health Care perform advanced diagnostics for GERD and other conditions, including upper endoscopy, esophageal manometry and pH monitoring as well as medical therapy, minimally invasive surgery and new therapies.
The Baptist Heartburn Treatment Center at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi offers innovative diagnostics techniques and treatment options to help ease the suffering of GERD. If you suffer from chronic heartburn in addition to any of the symptoms listed above, it may be time to investigate further.
Diagnosis and Treatment of GERD
- Upper Endoscopy captures images and biopsies of the tissue in your esophagus using a slender scope.
- Esophageal Manometry measures pressures in the esophagus and provides information about its function.
- pH Monitoring records actual acid levels (pH) in the esophagus while you are at home and carrying out your daily activities.
- Medical Therapy includes the rapidly changing array of medications for heartburn treatment.
- Minimally Invasive Surgery is recommended when medicine isn't the best option.